Friday, August 13, 2010

My Humbling Experience





Within these past 6 weeks, i woke up every morning and headed to work at CPW (The Cerebral Palsy of Westchester) as the Literacy Teacher for the Jimmy Vejar Day Camp. This experience was humbling beyond description. These children are miraculous on all the activities they can perform, art projects they created, and the sports they competed in. These campers have life long disabilities such as spinabifida, downsyndrome, cerebral palsy, etc. And my mission for the summer, was to help these campers enjoy their summer any way I possibly can....and on this Friday, August 13, 2010, I exceeded my job description. I build close relationships with these campers, that made me realize that in life, the moments, and the people who we love, MATTER, and to appreciate life and what we have.


When it was time to say good-bye to my campers, I was moved to tears, when one camper, Jordan, said " Geri I'm going to miss you, and I love you!" as she said those words to me with tears flowing down her eyes, I began to cry myself.

I can't even lie, even as i type this, I'm overwhelmed with emotion, that this14yr old girl, who was a perfect stranger to me 6 weeks ago, just reassured me that, the little things in life, from a smile, to a hug, go a long way!

1 comment:

  1. AWWWW!! That's def a humbling experience, even I would find it hard to not shed a few tears after that. But of course I would suck it up like the man I am (cough cough...). But I'm glad u enjoyed your experience. I'm sire ull miss themand vice versa... But there's always next summer!!

    ReplyDelete