I'm coming to work, to do that exactly.....WORK! There are many young employees that work throughout the facility, and they try to socialize with one another on their down time, and flirt with one another when passing in the hallways like we're back in High School ( which is all fine and dandy) But, I come to work, dressed work appropriately and these men still wanna holla at me , not once, twice, three times... practically every day, and repeatedly ask me for my number? What is the obsession with getting my number?? And what bothers the hell outta me, is when a man asks me for my number before asking for my name?? Like Seriously, lets make sense of the situtaion: 1. you feed me a compliment, 2. tell me your name 3. ask me for my number? WTH!
So when you call me who you gunna ask for??? SMH
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So after being asked out by the same guy for the 4th time in the past 4 weeks- "Ms. Nice Geri" went out the window (sorta) He approaches me with his Blacberry phone in hand feeling extra confident and says:
" So Gerry, are you going to give me your number now?"
" No I don't think that's a good idea"
" Why not?"
" Because I don't want to"
" That's not a good enough reason"
"Because it's MY NUMBER, and i have the choice to give MY number to who I want to, and it not YOU" ( a few seconds passed then i broke the uncomfortable silence with saying "I'm sorry." and proceeded to walk away.
------------------------------------------------------
Now that i'm home, and reflecting on my day, im upset with myself for apologizing to that guy. I dont know what it is about me that feels the need to ALWAYS apologize for my wrongs, or even someone else's. But the truth is I wasn't wrong for anything- I was just having a conversation.
I believe that I suffer from the sorry syndrome, and that my Apologising comes almost unconsciously to me- which is pretty scary. There was absolutely no reason for me to have said, "I'm sorry" because i wasn't! at all. I spoke my mind, and said how i felt..yet i felt the need to apologize for this... this isn't healthy, i gotta fix this ASAP!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Women say, ‘I'm sorry’ much more than men because of our nurturing nature and our desire to make everyone happy,” says Dr. Susan Gaddis of the personal communication website: communicationsdoctor.com
Read more at Suite101: The Sorry Syndrome: Do You Suffer From a Habit of Apologising All the Time? http://womenshealth.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_sorry_syndrome#ixzz0v77RY6gH
Read more at Suite101: The Sorry Syndrome: Do You Suffer From a Habit of Apologising All the Time? http://womenshealth.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_sorry_syndrome#ixzz0v77RY6gH
FrankenNegro was quite funny in my humble opinion...
ReplyDeleteThank you Andrew for joining my blog. I really appreciate it! This would not have been possible if it were not for you giving me the name for the blog! =)
ReplyDeleteAnd by the way FrankenNegro added a special kind of annoying to my day! Too bad now he hates me...lol
LMAO!! Thats hilarious! I honestly wish I cou;d've been a fly on the wall at that very moment just to see the look on his face. Must have been a classic!!
ReplyDeleteToo funny! But, I would not have apologized to him...he was being way to persistant and your right...it's your NUMBER!!
ReplyDeleteI feel where your coming from Gerry. I think it runs in the family, because i end up saying sorry also; So when you find a remedy, pass it my way.
ReplyDeleteI will make sure I will Bobby!
ReplyDeleteJust found your site at random via Miss Dre's site. Figured I'd post a guy's perspective on this since many attractive women seem to feel the need to beat guys off with a stick.
ReplyDeleteIt's a little ironic, because one click away I also hit MissLaKinght's blog where is expresses concern about not finding the love of her life.
So for many of us, it's either a desert or a monsoon, it seems.
The instinct to nurture is not a bad one. And saying you are sorry for hurting his feelings is a good way of simply trying to be civil. With the accelerated pace of social exchanges in modern society, it has become more difficult to maintain a polite interest in many of the individuals who we meet day to day.
That said, some of these men might be seeking more then just sex. They may want a women who can encourage them and help them establish their adult identity in a world which for the most part rejects them.
Recognizing this, of course, requires a base level of empathy which many people seem to lack. Humans seem hardwired to make fun of the weak to raise their own status with the herd.
Next time, maybe grab one of them, sit them down, and have them watch this video. Afterwards, ask them what they think.
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/helen_fisher_tells_us_why_we_love_cheat.html
It's ok to say, "I'm not going to sleep with you, but I acknowledge that you are a human being and perhaps can help you understand how to better approach a woman."
Many of these men have had no father figures to teach them romance, subtlety, mystery, how to seduce a woman. Without someone to help develop their imagination, they are mostly likely doomed to a series of failed relationships, difficult careers, bad fathering, and possibly worse.
Not to put all this on your shoulders, let's not be silly. But my point is that all of us are in the same boat. The butterfly effect.